Directors Lounge Screening
The Material Question
Thursday, 24 November 2016
“The cinema of James Edmonds (1983) explores the complexities of the real not as a mere substance named ‘reality’ but in its most fluctuating and Turnerian correlation, in those uncertainties that make it impossible to fix it in any specific point in space.”(Toni D’angela, La furia umana 28, 2016)
James Edmonds is an artist filmmaker from the UK living in Berlin and London. His practice centers on a personal poetics in which the nature of recording, when approached from the materiality of analogue film, offers a tangible surface for what is intangible and fleeting – our personal experience, inner worlds, thoughts and reflections.
He has presented screenings and exhibitions at various venues, project spaces, galleries and cinema events, including Fronteira Festival Brasil, The Temenos Screening Kino Xenix Zurich, Another Vacant Space Berlin, Mystetskyi Arsenal Lavra Kiev and ACCEA Armenia. Since 2015 he also curates the monthly film series Light Movement in Berlin.
– Movement and Stillness, 2015, super 8, 11min, colour, silent
– Inside Outside, 2008/2015, super8, 6min, colour, soundtrack
– Sternwarten der Welt / Sun Documents, 2010-11/2016 (in progress), super8 double projection, 6min, colour, soundtrack
– OVERLAND, 2016, super 8, 22min, colour and black+white, soundtrack
– Patterns of Summer, (in progress), super8, 3 mins, colour, silent
Directors Lounge http://www.directorslounge.net